Originally built in 1883 and then raised to around 28 metres in 1900, the first tower was made from stone sourced from the Sinzheim quarry. Due to the risk of collapse, it had to be taken down in 1954. In July of the same year, a newly built, second tower made from the old stone was presented to the public, but was taken down again just six years later.
When SWF built its TV studio in Hans-Bredow-Strasse, it required a permanent directional radio site. Whilst the initial plan was to erect a radio tower right next to the observation tower, the old tower was taken down for aesthetic reasons, under the condition that the new radio tower would also serve as an observation tower. The radio tower with an observation deck at a height of 30 metres was officially opened in autumn 1961.
Dining is also a long-standing tradition on Fremersberg Mountain: the city built a simple inn with restaurant in the style of a log cabin in 1884 and entrusted tenants to run it.